Rich Freeman on 27 Apr 2017 06:09:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Webroot

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:34 AM, Ronald P Guilmet
<ronpguilmet@gmail.com> wrote:

> To some extent we have no privacy anymore.

IMO getting companies and eventually people to stop copying your
personal information is going to steadily become like the RIAA trying
to get people to stop copying mp3 files.

Ultimately privacy is all about controlling information: the
information about everything you do.  Information "wants to be free"
and as it becomes easier to collect and share it will become steadily
harder to control.  I wouldn't be surprised if 100 years from now you
could go onto the same sorts of websites where you can download the
latest feature movie and download an archive containing video footage
of everywhere you've been since birth.  All it takes is some facial
recognition and some disk space, and when we get to the point where
downloading a few petabytes of data takes a few minutes the space
constraint will go away.

Today we still have some hope of controlling our privacy, but I think
at some point our culture will need to adapt.

--
Rich