Soren Harward on 30 Jun 2017 11:50:51 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Router Recommendations
- From: Soren Harward <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Router Recommendations
- Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 18:50:31 +0000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=REjQwPNV33Y1qDhMXeTm9XjA1SsBta2ADskdluiHG00=; b=p2aHtha/0r7DjioVpfCqvTD/sxIOr5YwVbW6sMcPOfPnuVT2HydlLB/J2RF1ppO736 7/na1cpSUhqOgtwTwdztdbjCaUoBrQXdeQzcI6sOTPfQKo+Hano/+Zg258IkESqAcqzV y6sxUNpT1CHrJ0Exj9YrutdMRF96DdgxLBNtkGOXD8jykCNnapZqFwsltT2gLUXTGfpg qrntjaauSX9QTsed57m5UyBC+W0dXfqlMgxK63KVV2FmRl7CHiaf0E22NRJnwGopfRHu p8Lojg77sdzNSy22/+rSW5S3zy2wwJqxEn9kuB/U05F8gd+4UwkbRlyI/Ivuxg2hEAsT uULg==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: "plug" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Fri, Jun 30, 2017, 12:24 John Kreno <email@example.com> wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone had any experience with Mikrotik ? i've been eying the RB3011, and it's kinda nice and not terribly expensive for what you get.
I have a RB450G and RB2011. Miktrotik hardware is impressive. RouterOS is lousy. OpenWRT support is hit-or-miss because they have the tendency to subtly change hardware configurations without changing the model numbers, and almost all OpenWRT support is reverse-engineered in the first place.
If a Routerboard device that is well-documented for OpenWRT fits your use case, then get it. Otherwise, unless you want to hack the firmware yourself, don't.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug