Rich Freeman on 3 Jul 2017 11:52:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Configuring routing tables to use Wifi over LAN for Internet access

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 2:27 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
> The DHCP on the LAN is a router running OpenWRT 12.09 with the Wifi turned
> off. I have spent some time trying to tell it not to offer a default route
> to its DHCP clients, but no luck so far… Thanks for the suggestion, Rich.

You could potentially disable its DHCP server and put another one on
the network which you can control.  I realize we're straying from
out-of-the-box, but your network design isn't really out-of-the-box
either and that is part of the problem.  The consumer-grade stuff is
really designed to be used as the gateway + access point, etc.

OpenWRT probably can do the job, but I suspect the LUCI web-based
config page isn't up to it.

The docs seem to be here: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/dhcp

You can probably edit the text-based config file to have it set the
default gateway, or set it per-host.

Personally I'd be just as inclined to just run dhcpd on something.
The normal dhcpd configuration file seems a bit more friendly for this
sort of thing.  I run a dhcp server on a pi so that I can tweak stuff
like this without having to stick static network configs on lots of
hosts/etc.  Running dhcpd on most distros isn't all that hard - right
now I'm just running it on Raspbian but I've also done it on Gentoo.

But, tweaking all the hosts is certainly an option.

--
Rich