Casey Bralla on 3 Jul 2017 12:18:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firewall choices for a small software development business

On Monday, July 3, 2017 3:10:57 PM EDT K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

> All, as a post-script to my earlier request: for inbound ssh or VPN for the
> developers how reliable is that with a dynamic IP address (and a service
> like DynDNS)? Or should I go for a static IP address? Thanks.

I've got a "dynamic" IP address, but it is really static as long as I don't
change the MAC address of the device that comcast sees (in my case, this is a
cable modem they supplied to me).   They did once change it as a result of
some network re-engineering project.  It also changed once when the modem died
and had to be replaced.

I've had this service for 5+ years and have had it change once or twice in
that time.   It's a little inconvenient when it happens (no warning), but easy
to fix and not much of show stopper unless you're running a 24/7 service with
triple-9 uptime requirements.

Casey Bralla