Keith C. Perry on 6 Jul 2017 15:50:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fios Quantum Gateway Router / Cabling type

You should always use your own router because you do not want someone other than you to have control over the borders of your network.

I'm on business class with Comcast and they pass my IP's through their device- its just a peer / border router to me.  All security infrastructure including what which define my network border is handled by my equipment.  This approach isolates you from your upstream provider so if you ever switch to someone else, the only thing you are changing are your public facing IPs.  You internal net isn't touched.

Unless you are doing 10Gbs twisted pair connections to user workstations (you can do 10Gbs on 6 up to 10M) you can run 5e if there is a major price difference.  Yes, Cat 6 is typical these days since the pricing has come down but you could get away with a combination of 5e on the floor and 6 in your server room if needed (and you didn't want to go with SFP+ infrastructure).

These days for new wiring the question is more 5e vs 6a.  6a can do 10Gbs the full 100M.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 6, 2017 4:45:30 PM
Subject: [PLUG] Fios Quantum Gateway Router / Cabling type

With Internet business service, Verizon wants me to rent (or buy) a Fios Quantum Gateway Router. This looks like the same appliance I have at home. Do we need one if we set up oue own firewall? On the other hand, how good is it as a firewall, and if we get one, is an additional firewall advised?

Also, any opinons on Cat 5e vs. Cat 6 cabling? The office is a bit under 1,000 sq. ft, so we won't have long cable runs.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards
-- Bhaskar