K.S. Bhaskar on 7 Jul 2017 19:30:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fios Quantum Gateway Router / Cabling type

Verizon confirmed that I don't need the Fios Quantum Gateway Router. Since if I got one of those, I'd want to get my own firewall behind it anyway (while I don't trust everything open source, for me it's a necessary though not sufficient condition for trustworthiness). So, I'm planning to get one of these (https://www.amazon.com/Firewall-micro-appliance-Gigabit-Intel/dp/B01AJEJG1A). Since it seems to come with pfSense, we can use that, or if we install our own software, (a) Debian Stable with Shorewall, or (b) iPFire would seem to work, with a mild preference for Shorewall because a couple of us have set it up before, although not recently. We also need inbound access (OpenVPN preferred, but I could be talked into IPSec), preferably with two factor authentication using the Google authenticator or perhaps Authy.

In addition to outbound access, and inbound access with VPN, I'd like one of the NICs to be for VoIP (i'd prefer not to have it be on the same network segment as our machines).

While I could read the fine manuals, and set this up on my own, I'm going to be doing enough running around with moving into a new office, that I think it's best if I hire someone to set it up. Is anyone interested in doing this (Malvern area), or can anyone recommend someone to do this? I'd want the configuration documented so that we can maintain it ourselves. [Yes, I can hire someone through Amazon to do the setup, but I have a mild preference for working with someone on the PLUG list.]

Please write to me off list. Thank you very much.

Regards
--- Bhaskar

P.S. If someone has a decent used 16-port switch for sale, I'd be interested. Thanks.