Rich Freeman on 6 Jul 2017 15:25:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fios Quantum Gateway Router / Cabling type

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
> I forgot to say,  that I now connect FIOS ONT Ethernet directly to a Cisco switch

I'm using OpenWRT but I use the same approach at home.  I used to
bridge one of their consumer routers into my own router (which secures
the connection but is obviously more complex).  When they wanted to
start charging me to have their old router or sell me a new one I just
asked them to switch me over to ethernet.

If you ask they should enable your ethernet port - they have to do
that on their end, and when doing this make sure you don't have an
active DHCP lease otherwise you'll need to call them up to ask them to
release it, as the ONT won't assign an IP on the ethernet port if one
was assigned on the coax port.

However, I'm sure they try to sell those "Quantum Gateways" fairly
hard.  I'm not sure if you can avoid having to buy one, but you can
probably call them up to get rid of it shortly after you are online if
nothing else.

I'm pretty sure their router gives them the ability to go snooping
around your network (probably used mainly for diagnostics).  Also, if
you do bridge the router don't be surprised if they factory reset it
on you if there are any network issues.  When that happens it is a
royal PITA to get it back to bridged mode (you have to connect a
laptop to it, get it to release the DHCP, quickly yank the network
cable before it re-acquires a new lease, then configure it to bridge
again, then re-connect the cable, then plug it back into your router).

--
Rich