brent timothy saner on 13 Sep 2017 12:00:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Why Can't Programmers.. Program?

On 09/13/2017 02:47 PM, Thomas Delrue wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:38:30 PM EDT brent timothy saner wrote:
>> i'm not even a developer, i'm in operations- but this is still terrifying to
>> me.
>
> And yet you, who are not a developer, write (production?) code which, in turn,
> terrifies /me/... :P
> (I kid, I kid...)

honestly, it's a valid point. i write enough to manage my boxen; that's
all i need. one of the greatest tragedies of the "devops movement" is
people treating operators as devs and vice versa. my totally
unscientific and unprovable personal theory is that this shift is what's
led to so much of an upswing in security breaches within the past 10 years.

>> but more to the point of TFA itself, i find it *horrifying* that there are
>> people looking for dev jobs that can't at least do SOME sort of iteration
>> of this
>
> I've seen things that would make me want to bleach my eyes... horrible things
> that no-one taking part in an interview loop should ever be subjected to.
>
> I once had a candidate who said "I can't write the code for this because I
> don't code, but I could explain to you how I would do it".
> *facepalm* what part of "/write a program/" do you not understand?
>
> You come away with a feeling along the lines of "either this person is
> suffering from serious brain damage, or the new vacuum cleaners have
> arrived"(*).
>
> (*) Thank you, mr Atkinson: http://bytesdaily.blogspot.com/2013/07/rowan-atkinson-bitter-wedding-speech.html

please tell me the "i don't code" guy wasn't interviewing for a
developer position. please. i need some faith in humanity.