Carl Johnson on 19 Sep 2017 12:42:36 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] best router distros for x86?
- From: Carl Johnson <email@example.com>
- To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Greg Helledy <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] best router distros for x86?
- Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 15:42:24 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:in-reply-to:references:mime-version:content-transfer-encoding :subject:to:from:message-id; bh=HD5e4+wiZYfG/F+lscgPADPihd+tIONEfl0VKXj9jtA=; b=YmT1HY1yd/eKVeGQ02u94dEzFiW74W4quWPD0ffyqM6/AFxntBnfAMyRkzifod7m6M X9t84HhJ8ou/Dvrfu6+KWhn+c5fVpu4ZGQTXmKm3lR9mQjsoncSh0bB/srSMrPZ1AYdn 75a6fD/ZaxNOyp7BuWNJ9qzhfzWNXOFJ0SIqrjAHS4S6hOz5Kw7549xJk0anRoYBwnQC a/QNtB+B7TVuIKU7z22NGn7N1zuaN9PXBAD0XxmLMBo8GXqTtNZxU8sOYdlmxdVhnez6 kOnOQ1CrLsaKG7YIqLiqFrRRcx5eI1qndNqvMpGFVBK6nQ6yTg/LG1wNzVKfNSc1pARA 2qrQ==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: "plug" <email@example.com>
On September 19, 2017 3:36:41 PM EDT, Greg Helledy <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
My Linksys router running Tomato has begun to show its age, and can't
keep up with the higher speeds I can now get through FIOS.
So, I've obtained one of those PCs that come in a router-sized case, as
we discussed on this list some months back. It has a quad-core Celeron,
4 gigabit LANs, 4 GB RAM and a 60 GB SSD, which should be enough for any
OS in that type of role.
While any distro can be a router and firewall, there are ones specially
made for the purpose. I'm familiar with ClearOS, and I've heard of
pfSense, and Sophos and Nethserver and I know there are many others. I
don't know that I need a whole lot more than a router and firewall
function, but maybe a VPN would be good, and maybe there are other
features out there I'm not aware of. Whatever I choose I'll probably be
dealing with for years so I'd like to make a good choice. What would
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug