Chris Norton on 19 Sep 2017 12:44:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] best router distros for x86?

Arch. It's what I use. Literally bare bones, minimal.

On Sep 19, 2017 3:42 PM, "Carl Johnson" <cjohnson19791979@gmail.com> wrote:
Mikrotik
Smoothwall
VyOS

On September 19, 2017 3:36:41 PM EDT, Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:
My Linksys router running Tomato has begun to show its age, and can't
keep up with the higher speeds I can now get through FIOS.
So, I've obtained one of those PCs that come in a router-sized case, as
we discussed on this list some months back. It has a quad-core Celeron,
4 gigabit LANs, 4 GB RAM and a 60 GB SSD, which should be enough for any
OS in that type of role.

While any distro can be a router and firewall, there are ones specially
made for the purpose. I'm familiar with ClearOS, and I've heard of
pfSense, and Sophos and Nethserver and I know there are many others. I
don't know that I need a whole lot more than a router and firewall
function, but maybe a VPN would be good, and maybe there are other
features out there I'm not aware of. Whatever I choose I'll probably be
dealing with for years so I'd like to make a good choice. What would
you install?