Rich Freeman on 7 Nov 2017 07:09:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] small business server virtualization?

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 7:04 AM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:

> Yes you can,   but it costs money to re-design.    So a  business looks the
> cost of redesign,  and then the cost to manage 100 separate containers
> instead of just 1 VM
> and it's not clear that you win anything.

Why would you run only 1 VM in a situation where you would be running
100 containers?  You would run one container per application instance,
and you would run one VM in the same situation.

Sure, if you compare dumping all your services onto one VM to
isolating them the complexity sort-of goes down, but then I'm not sure
why you're even bothering to virtualize.

I will agree that if you already have 100 physical hosts it is going
to be easier to just migrate them 1:1 to 100 VMs.  However, putting an
application in a container isn't really any more complex than putting
them in a VM otherwise.

--
Rich