JP Vossen on 16 Nov 2017 11:59:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Revision Control for the Rest of Us

On 11/16/2017 02:50 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 01:50:56PM -0500, JP Vossen wrote:
But ESR not only agrees with you, he wrote SRC as a Python wrapper around
RCS:

That is way cool, and I very much appreciate that you pointed it
out. Have bookmarked and will read all of those when fresh coffee is
available.
Happy to help.  It's quite neat, just not quite what I need.

Oh, and you're right that hg/bzr have more features and are probably
better choices for the same kind of use cases.  I use RCS mostly out of
old habit: I was working at Purdue when Walter Tichy wrote it, and it
had the singular virtue of not being SCCS. ;)

I never used SCCS, I started with RCS, and "centralized" it by having the RCS (or whatever) dir be a symlink someplace else. CVS was "better" in some ways, but it really sucked (in retrospect) in a lot of other ways. SVN isn't bad, but it's really, REALLY odd. I appreciate $Keyword$ expansion and the ability to check out only part of the repo though. The 3rd gen DVCS are all pretty similar, the devil is in the details.

Later,
JP