Lee H. Marzke on 15 Dec 2017 14:15:26 -0800

Re: [PLUG] CalDAV server on linux

I've been using a hosted Zimbra provider for years,  and it does email/calandar/addressbook/Active sync
on Win/Lin/Android / iPhone, etc.    This just works without any hassle but does retail for around
$20/user/month.

Years ago I tried using all the open source calendaring solutions, CalDAV, etc. and/or email but
nothing worked,  and basically wasted hours of my time.    The thing is, Active Sync is the only
product that seems to work in a reliable way across all devices ( because so many people use Exchange) , so
using a product with ActiveSync just works.

For a company $20/month/user is so cheap you should be jumping.  Note that corporate features such
as legal archive/hold and trash retention can also be added  - and if your using open source I'm not sure
how you comply with any of those legal requirements.   Of course that isn't a problem until your company is part
of a legal action,  but by then it's too late to add a hold because users or corp officers delete email.
Note that the IT person may be responsible for keeping email from being deleted even by officers - ask your
corp counsel.

Legal hold provide archiving of all users email for the time provide in your corp policies.   This way users email
is preserved even if they delete it themselves.  If your company is notified of a pending legal action and you don't prevent
users from deleting messages, your company is likely in much more trouble.

Most small companies are completely un-prepared for the legal holds required of email, etc.  Corporate
wide search is also available so you can provide that search tool to your legal team to pair down the amount of
emails provided.

Much better to only provide emails requested,  then provide ALL of them.

Note I don't do the legal stuff myself, I just have an attorney in the family that I've discussed email requirements
at length, and it seems only the large companies really understand this.   I do encourage
small companies I deal with to setup email archiving and search up front so it can be used when required.

Lee

PS: If your willing to provide your own support to users,  you might be able to get  reseller account
and provide this hosted service to internal users at much less than the pricing above.   You can talk to
me off-list for more info.