gary on 18 Dec 2017 17:00:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] New Comcast wireless modem with old Buffalo wireless router

=> "Lee H. Marzke" <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
=>
=> If your FIOS ONT unit has an Ethernet jack, then it is acting as a bridge
=> and it is
=> a regular Ethernet connection to Verizon so no special requirements exist.
=>
=> I run my FIOS WAN Ethernet connection to my pfSense Router and it works
=> just fine.   No need for
=> any special router from Verizon unless you are using their cable TV
=> option.  I also
=> had a Ubiquity EdgeRouter X connected to the ONT on a different public IP
=> and it worked fine.
=>
=> Have you not been able to get another router to work on your ONT ?
=>
=> Lee

   Yes, I did look into that, but I do have FiOS TV, so I need the MOCA
stuff to keep working. Interestingly, my FiOS Android app can no longer
access my DVR contents, and I suspect the "unsupported" router is to
blame. I'm not sure I want to know what stupid router tricks they are
pulling for that one.

   I also do the trick of having my own router behind theirs, though to
support my IPv6 tunnel broker connection I have a smart switch to put
the FiOS LAN on my main LAN as a tagged VLAN, and configured a VLAN on
my server to route IPv6. Probably not the most secure thing, I know,
but some extra work for any attacker.

                          Gary Duzan