Steve Litt on 4 Jan 2018 13:25:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The mysterious case of the Linux Page Table Isolation patches

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 15:09:31 -0500
Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Steve Litt
> <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> >
> > According to
> > https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-EPYC-Linux-4.15-Test  ,
> > the latest kernel updates enable PTI on AMD "just in case", but
> > because AMD is so confident it's not needed, PTI will again be
> > disabled in 4.15. For those wanting to repeal the performance hit
> > on their AMD earlier, they can put "nopti" in their grub.
> >

> Correct.  It is in the queue for 4.14.12 as well, and presumably all
> the other stable/longterm kernels.  I hear Arch backported it to
> 4.14.11, and I imagine many other distros will do so as well since it
> was accepted upstream.

LOL, that assumes you've rebooted.

=====================================

[slitt@mydesk sakura]$ uname -a
Linux mydesk 4.13.10_1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 29 17:25:31 UTC 2017
x86_64 GNU/Linux
[slitt@mydesk sakura]$ vkpurge list | grep 4\.14
4.14.4_1
4.14.6_1
4.14.8_1
[slitt@mydesk sakura]$
=====================================

Kernel upgrade does no good til you reboot, unless there's some
procedure I don't know about. I'll be rebooting the second I get
4.14.12. Or maybe even 11, just for the heck of it.

THIS JUST IN...

It looks like my latest xbps-install -Su pulled down 4.14.11, and this
version of Void's kernel has the fix, so I'll be rebooting as soon as I
close all my programs.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive