Greg Helledy on 16 Jan 2018 15:20:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Weird handling of incoming attachments in dovecot--winmail.dat file

On 1/16/2018 5:08 PM, jeff wrote:
I get winmail.dat all the time from a friend, but only him. Can't
figure out why.

Are the display as settings the same? (plain text/html)

I looked before, I'm not seeing anything really relevant. Under Options|Display, I can choose a default font and size, plus a section on how to emulate some graphics in plain-text messages. (What we are being sent are definitely not plain text). The Advanced button lets you do default fonts by alphabet type and default encodings (UTF-8 vs. ISO-XXXX). If we could force the sender to use only plain text, I'm sure the problem would go away, but they want to be able to include highlighting with color, table snippets and things like that. My outgoing mails are plain text but just about everyone else prefers emails with "flair".

It may be related to this glitch in Outlook when it's a server-based system and not just a desktop client, affecting people in the address book:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Recipient-receives-a-winmail-dat-attachment-when-sending-email-from-Outlook-with-Outlook-com-account-a999e673-5c7a-4fbd-82e7-234f6756e89b

If so, not much I can do, except maybe get everyone at the agency to delete everyone at our company from their address books. Still seems more likely to me it has to be something with the account config on the mail server, but I don't know what.

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated