Walt Mankowski on 7 Mar 2018 12:17:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] POS Malware Found at 160 Applebee’s Restaurant Locations

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 02:45:29PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:46:26PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> >> Even with
> >> chip+PIN you're really only able to validate that a card+owner was
> >> present, not that they signed the specific transaction being presented
> >> to the bank.
> >
> > Congratulations! You've reinvented how chip cards work! With all due
> > respect to ESR's technical chops, this is a solved problem.
>
> Read what I said again.  I have no assurance that when I use chip+PIN
> that the transaction I'm authorizing is the one I think I'm
> authorizing.
>
> The terminal could display "your total is $100", I could enter my PIN,
> and then the terminal could send to my card a transaction for $10k
> with the PIN, get the validation code, and send that to the bank.

I'm confused about whether this is a real problem or one you've
invented. Presumably you're still getting a paper receipt and can use
that to contest the charge in case it's different on your statement.

> Also, current chip+PIN doesn't provide a solution for online or phone
> transactions.  Ideally a better solution would address this as well.

Apple Pay supports online payments. Again, I don't know how Android
Pay works.

> It would also eliminate the need for PCI compliance, because the
> terminal wouldn't need to be secure.  Why we're keying PINs into
> untrusted terminals in the first place seems like an anachronism.

The Wells Fargo app for my phone has a relatively new feature where it
gives you a one-time code you enter into the ATM instead of entering
your card. You still have to enter your PIN, but it's not tied to your
account number.

Walt