Soren Harward on 28 Mar 2018 05:44:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Oooma Home VOIP Phone

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 8:35 AM Chris Thistlethwaite <chris@thistlethwaite.net> wrote:
I used to use an obitalk to connect up to Google Voice to do VoIP at home, but that was a while ago so I can't speak to how it is as a service now. ... Recently went with a Ooma as I needed a home phone with 911 service.

I use an Obi200+Google Voice for home landline.  It works so well I never think of it.

You can call 911 through Google Voice, but the potential hiccup is that it might not route to the correct dispatch center, and that it won't have the E911 metadata that tells the dispatch center my location when the call comes in.  So I pay $20/year for E911 service through GV911.
--

Soren Harward
stharward@gmail.com