Rich Freeman on 18 May 2018 00:07:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: 30-Day Domain Renewal Notice

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 9:09 PM Alan McConnell <alan@his.com> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone socially conscious people would care to speculate

Not sure what "socially conscious" has to do with it.

> how
> this system came to be,

Goal:
$$$$ -> ICANN

> how it is implemented,

Implementation:
Your $$$$$ -> Registrar
Registrar's $$$$ -> ICANN

> and how it might be
> improved.

Improvement:
Your $$$$$$$$ -> Registrar
Registrar's $$$$$$$ -> ICANN

If you look at all the improvements that actually have gotten implemented
in practice in DNS, they mostly involve more money in ICANN's pockets.
Stuff like DNSSEC and forcing all website SSL certificates into DNSSEC
would have a HUGE impact on security and they have languished for what
seems like forever.

On the other hand we have over 1000 TLDs today, mostly as a way to funnel
money to ICANN.  These include:
.sucks
.sexy
.blue
.apple
.bing
.chrome
.ファッション
.كاثوليك

But don't worry - you can have icann.sucks for the low low price of $185k.
Yes, it is available, and that is the official price from the registrar
directed from get.sucks:
https://www.rebel.com/search/?exact=true&q=icann.sucks

And if that doesn't sum up the state of ICANN these days, I don't know what
does...

--
Rich