Tone Montone on 26 Jul 2018 16:04:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LINUX ADMIN ADVICE

Rob,

    I too enjoyed the Phoenix Project; It's an easy read and informational to see how chaotic IT could be ( feel I lived much of it). I don't think it's necessary to become an admin per se.

    Are you trying to become a Unix/Linux Admin?  If so...

    I also like "How Linux Works, 2nd ed" https://www.amazon.com/How-Linux-Works-2nd-Superuser/dp/1593275676/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532645028&sr=8-1&keywords=How+Linux+Works  It provides a very deep dive into Linux, that can be invaluable.

    I don't think you have to know much about Linux in this market, in some places just being interested in it and knowing how to move around in it is enough.  Don't get bogged down into thinking you have to be an 8 or 9 on a scale of 10.  The world needs 4,5,and 6s too.   Everyone starts somewhere.

    I think the Temp market is the easiest method to get into IT.  Temp staffers are mostly ignorant and they just try to push resumes into places.  If they get you in, and you stay, they get paid.  It allows you to get a feel for the company, they get a feel for you, if you want to get married become an employee.   I think the hiring bar is lower for temps too.  If they don't want you or like you, they just ask that you not return.  However, always show up.  Always be on time, if not a little early.  And try not to call out sick.  And be helpful or eager.

    Also, I think you are former military, so looking for DoD jobs could be beneficial as you may be able to obtain a clearance more easily than others.  Think Philadelphia Naval Ship Yard, IRS, Lockheed, Raytheon, etc.  If brought on, you may have to get additional certifications, but there is usually time for that.

    The Babyboomers are starting to retire in large numbers, the number of systems and jobs are increasing, but the jobs are becoming more technical too thanks to DevOps. Think Puppet and Ansible.

Mike