Greg Helledy on 30 Jul 2018 15:25:00 -0700

[PLUG] System suspend every 15 seconds on old laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop. It's about 15 years old with a Pentium M CPU. It ran Linux Mint 13 for years, but that's no longer updated. I decided to install Q4OS, a Debian derivative that focuses on being lightweight.

https://q4os.org/

It ran fine as a live CD, but once I installed it, it would go into suspend mode every 15 seconds. In the bug section on Sourceforge, I noticed someone else had the same problem. It's very difficult to try to do diagnostics on a machine shutting down every 15 seconds, so I looked for another lightweight distro and decided to try Lubuntu.

Exact same result...live CD works fine, but once installed, suspend is triggered after 15 seconds of uptime.

Q4OS 2.5 uses kernel 4.9.88
Lubuntu 18.04 uses kernel 4.15
Mint 13 used some form of kernel 3.0

The quirk about this CPU is that it reports that it is non-PAE to the OS, although it is. To boot the live CD of Q4OS or Lubuntu, you have to add the "forcepae" option. The installations didn't offer me the opportunity to enter anything about PAE, and appear to work fine except for "falling asleep" constantly.

I don't have a lot of time to play around with this, but I would like to get my old laptop working again. Do you think there might be a quick way to disable whatever's triggering this? Otherwise, what distro would you try next? I have 1.5 GB RAM and 80 GB of HDD available.

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated