Walt Mankowski on 1 Aug 2018 10:05:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT - battery replacement for an Android phone

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 10:29:56AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Mot all batteries are bricks. I picked up one at Best Buy for a few
> > bucks. It's only 2000 mAh, but that's plenty to charge up my iPhone a
> > few times. And it only weighs a few ounces, so it's easy to toss in a
> > bag and forget about it.
>
> Battery replacement for an S7 Edge is $50 at the Best Buy in Deptford
> (at the Samsung Repair Center); I checked online. I can live with
> that, for a new battery and the labor to swap it out; it's the getting
> there and back on public transit that is time consuming (but not too
> onerous, I think).

To be clear, I wasn't talking about replacement batteries, but rather
portable battery packs you can use to charge up anything with a USB
connection. Search for "portable cell phone charger" on Amazon and
you'll see dozens of varieties. I've got a few at home that folks were
giving out as swag at tech conferences.

> Also, iPhones are much better at battery life than Android, in my
> experience. Using my iPad as an example, I would describe it as
> *vastly better*. I can leave that thing unplugged for 14 hours
> (without using it), it's still at 100%. And yes, it is getting email
> and notifications, the cover is just closed.

Yes, iOS has gotten pretty aggressive about power management. On
recent versions of the OS there's a feature where you can see which
apps have been using the most batter. I don't know if such a thing
exists for Android, but if it does that would be a good place to look
to see if the app you can blame for your battery draining.

Walt