Rich Freeman on 2 Aug 2018 13:51:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LINUX ADMIN ADVICE

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:16 PM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 13:51:47 -0400
> Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 1:41 PM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > You'll learn that *BSD's boot and startup are so simple people can
> > > do it themselves, without hiring a systemd expert.
> >
> > So simple that when a service dies, the OS doesn't know when it needs
> > to restart something it requires.
>
> Solved by initing with runit, s6, or either sysvinit or OpenRC plus
> daemontools-encore.

Sure, and none of these are the default config on BSD.  Despite one of
those being the default on Gentoo I find systemd tends to work a lot
better in practice.

> > Oh, and if Fred sometimes needs to
> > use the microphone we should give him access to spy on whoever is
> > standing near the PC even when he isn't logged into the console...
>
> For one millionth of one percent of the salaries given to poettering
> and sievers and the crew, I could solve that problem ten different ways.

Sure, you can solve lots of problems on your own lots of ways.  The
whole point of stuff like polkit is so that you don't have to.

> My network drops all the time: No reboot necessary.

That's great if all your services handle this gracefully.

Again, you don't need systemd as long as you re-implement everything
it does in every service/application you use.  The whole point of
modularization though is that you don't have to...

--
Rich