Steve Litt on 3 Aug 2018 11:27:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LINUX ADMIN ADVICE

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 16:50:50 -0400
Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:16 PM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 13:51:47 -0400
> > Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> > > So simple that when a service dies, the OS doesn't know when it
> > > needs to restart something it requires.
> >
> > Solved by initing with runit, s6, or either sysvinit or OpenRC plus
> > daemontools-encore.
>
> Sure, and none of these are the default config on BSD.

Point taken: They're not. However, runit, s6 and daemontools-encore all
run on *BSD, for those who want their enhanced features.

> Despite one of
> those being the default on Gentoo I find systemd tends to work a lot
> better in practice.

Ah, OpenRC *plus daemontools-encore* is not the default on Gentoo
(and/or Funtoo). I'm not an OpenRC fan for the same reason I'm not a
sysvinit fan: Huge init scripts. That being said, I'd take OpenRC or
sysvinit plus either daemontools-encore, runit (as supervisor) or s6
(as supervisor) over systemd. They're dead-bang simple, and they can be
configured to do *anything* you want.

> > > Oh, and if Fred sometimes needs to
> > > use the microphone we should give him access to spy on whoever is
> > > standing near the PC even when he isn't logged into the
> > > console...
> >
> > For one millionth of one percent of the salaries given to poettering
> > and sievers and the crew, I could solve that problem ten different
> > ways.
>
> Sure, you can solve lots of problems on your own lots of ways.  The
> whole point of stuff like polkit is so that you don't have to.

If that were the whole point of polkit, polkit wouldn't be welded to
systemd like it is.

> > My network drops all the time: No reboot necessary.
>
> That's great if all your services handle this gracefully.
>
> Again, you don't need systemd as long as you re-implement everything
> it does in every service/application you use.  The whole point of
> modularization though is that you don't have to...

Not   what   I    said.

Observe the following runit run script:

#!/bin/sh
if network_up; then
  exec thedaemon --forground
fi
sleep 1

So if thedaemon crashes due to no network, thedaemon won't be executed
again until network_up (you design it as YOU need, not as a daemon
reports back) returns true. This code can be re-used on all your
network dependent daemons: No need to redesign for every
network-dependent daemon.

SteveT