Steve Litt on 3 Aug 2018 11:40:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] People can't stop trashing systemd without reading the docs, you won't believe what happens next! (WAS: LINUX ADMIN ADVICE)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 01:01:10 -0400
Will <staticphantom@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have found init scripts to be more of a pain since I can't add the
> waits onto it for specific services. Unit files tell me more of what
> I need and versus scripts. Case in point, getting 802.1x on the
> Ethernet was a pain compared to doing the same with systemd.

Will,

You've been reading this thread, so you know that "better than sysvinit"
(the one with the big init scripts) is a false choice because there
exist runit, s6, and several others. Runit and s6 run scripts are no
longer or more complex than systemd unit files.

> Yeah, I will say rc.local is bog simple to just slam crap in there.
> However it's nice I can make a unit file to launch nspawn natively
> with the distro. I can't say I have had a similar experience
> approaching the same simplicity with rc.local or with the nice
> speed/logging out of the box.

Again, you're comparing to sysvinit, ignoring the existence of superior
runit and s6. "I'm stronger than Albert Einstein and smarter than Mike
Tyson."

> It's 2018... Why are people still complaining about the switch to
> systemd.

Because in 2018, systemd is more entangled, more monolithic, more
complex, more hostile toward interchangeable parts, and more
antagonistic to the principle of encapsulation than it was in 2016,
2014 or 2012.

Additionally, systemd deliberately engenders so many dependencies so
deep in the OS, the early boot, and other software, that it's 10x
harder to replace systemd with another init than it would be to replace
another init with either systemd or anything else. People gripe because
they perceive systemd to have taken away their choice. Luckily, there's
Void Linux, Devuan, *BSD, Funtoo, and several other distros that didn't
drink the flavored drink. I urge everyone to try out some sans-systemd
distros.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence