Will on 2 Aug 2018 22:01:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] People can't stop trashing systemd without reading the docs, you won't believe what happens next! (WAS: LINUX ADMIN ADVICE)

I have found init scripts to be more of a pain since I can't add the waits onto it for specific services. Unit files tell me more of what I need and versus scripts. Case in point, getting 802.1x on the Ethernet was a pain compared to doing the same with systemd.

Yeah, I will say rc.local is bog simple to just slam crap in there. However it's nice I can make a unit file to launch nspawn natively with the distro. I can't say I have had a similar experience approaching the same simplicity with rc.local or with the nice speed/logging out of the box.

It's 2018... Why are people still complaining about the switch to systemd.

-Will C

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018, 16:53 Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:28 PM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Reading the docs is exactly why I refuse to use systemd. Systemd
> is so complex and entangled that still, after all these years, nobody
> has been able to draw a block diagram of systemd, with both boxes
> representing processes and lines representing interactions.

The fact that something hasn't been done is hardly proof that nobody
is able to do it.  More likely nobody cares enough to bother.  I have
gotten by just fine with OpenRC for many years despite not having
referred to a block diagram for it, and the same is true of systemd.

--
Rich