Rich Freeman on 6 Oct 2018 11:57:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] android - it's all over but the paying

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 12:27 AM jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:

> I'll do a writeup on the G7 elsewhere, as I go through setting it up.
> It has a DIFFERENT CONNECTOR FOR CHARGING. Apparently a USB Type-C. More
> cables to buy - thanks.  At least there's a headphone jack.

While it is a bit of a pain switching, USB-C really is the way of the
future, and much nicer than microUSB.  For starters, it is reversible.
My last several phones have used USB-C, but Google adopted it
early-on.

The OP6 uses USB-C, but it can't do USB-C power delivery, and instead
uses a proprietary fast charger.  While their design does have
advantages, the fact that I can't use my existing USB-C fast chargers
is a downside.  That said, the phone can still charge adequately while
the screen is on from a standard 2A USB-C.

I really wish vendors would get more on the ball with standards
though.  USB-C power delivery, HDMI adaptive sync, and so on...