Keith Perry on 14 Oct 2018 16:17:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Disk is Full. How to Move /var?

On Sunday, October 14, 2018 6:31:51 PM EDT Rachel plays Linux wrote:
> Doh, yes I meant du -sh rather than ls -sh
>
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2018, 6:18 PM Michael Lazin <microlaser@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is not exactly the answer to your question but have you considered
> > using 'du -sh ./*' to find out the biggest directories and try to cull
> > some
> > files?  Also you might have better luck with playing with partition sizes
> > using gparted on a live cd or usb.
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 14, 2018, 5:04 PM Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> >> Okay, this should be a simple problem, but I'm stumped.
> >>
> >> My 200 GByte SSD on my Gentoo system is 99.5% full (sometimes hits 100%,
> >> but I've been erasing as much as I can).  I also have a 1 TByte HDD in
> >> the system for regular files.  I thought I could move  the /var from the
> >> SSD to HDD and open some space, but I'm having some trouble.
> >>
> >> If I created a separate partition on the HDD, I could add the partition
> >> in /etc/fstab without any problem, but since there already is a file
> >> system on HDD that fills the whole disk, I wanted to simply move the
> >> /var directory there.  However, when I tried to symlink, it seems to
> >> have completely ignored my command.
> >>
> >> Here's what I did:
> >> 1.  Created "/HDDdisk/var" directory on the HDD.
> >> 2.  Copied everything from "/var" to "/HDDdisk/var".
> >> 3.  "sudo ln -s /HDDdisk/var   /var"
> >>

> >> The result:  Nothing.  /var is still on the SSD and did not move.
> >>
> >> What am I doing wrong
> >> What else can I do to relocate files to the HDD from the SSD (I've
> >> already moved /home).
> >>
> >> TIA!

If you can, bulk operations like this really should be done from a live CD.
Its cleaner and faster since there is no contention for disk access by any
programs that would be normally running.

You can move things like /var or /usr without issue when you are running from
a live CD.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033