Steve Litt on 19 Nov 2018 01:07:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Open Source Equivalent of WordPerfect

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 03:17:03 -0500
"K.S. Bhaskar" <ksbhaskar@gmail.com> wrote:

> WYSIWYG tools are unbeatable for quick, short documents like resumes
> and business letters. Just get it done.

You bring up an excellent point, with which I agree. 2 pagers like
resumes, business letters, yard sale flyers, use whatever's around and
quick, like LibreOffice or Inkscape.

When you start exceeding 5000 words, those same tools get in your way.

I'm creating an authoring system called Stylz that lets you author with
styles that you make up, and then, with the help of exporters, write to
PDF, ePub, HTML, or pretty much anything you want to make an exporter
for. So far I have it doing an excellent job with HTML and ePub, but
it's buggy as hell when exporting to Plain TeX en route to PDF. It's a
very good system for books.

For books where styles aren't as important, the various Markdown,
Multimarkdown, AsciiDoc, AsciiDoctor, fit the bill quite nicely.

The ultimate book and thesis writer is LyX, but beware, it can't export
to ePub without hours of human intervention, and the project seems to
have no desire to change this. If you're positive your book will always
be only PDF or print to paper, use LyX.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2018 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr