Fred Stluka on 20 Dec 2018 10:39:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Git: net time gain or loss?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 6:58 PM JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org <mailto:jp@jpsdomain.org>> wrote:

> So...does Git create a net time gain or net time loss in the world?  For
> me it's a _massive_ net loss.

For me, it's a huge win.  MUCH better than any of the other VCS tools
I've used in the past 36 years:  CVS, PVCS, VSS, rcs, sccs, VAX CMS
I think Linus did a fantastic job with it.

It did take a while to grok.  Not so much Git, I suspect, as my first
"distributed VCS".  Perhaps Bazaar and Mercurial would have been
as hard to grok?

As I just happened to say in an unrelated post here earlier today,
I use shell aliases for some of the more powerful and more
complex Git commands like cherry-picking.  Also, I do most of
my Git commands via scripts that also run visual compare tools,
etc.

There ARE getting to be a lot of point-click visual Git tools.  For
use on Mac, I like the FOSS "gitx" for reviewing all recent changes
to my working files, organizing them into one or more commits,
deciding that some changes are not yet ready to commit,
sometimes creating separate commits from unrelated groups of
changes to the same file, and pushing to the remote repo.  Other
Mac and Windows users I know swear by Tower (non-FOSS).
For Linux, you might like one of these:
- https://git-scm.com/download/gui/linux

BTW, JP, thanks for the link to your Git/Bazaar/Mercurial article!
I've read it before, but I'd forgotten how useful it was:
- https://www.jpsdomain.org/public/Revision_Control_for_the_Rest_of_Us.pdf

I've now added it to the Git row of my links page:
- http://bristle.com/~fred/#git

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- Bristle Software, Inc. -- http://bristle.com
#DontBeATrump -- Make America Honorable Again!