Charlie Li on 15 Jan 2019 06:22:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] 3 MOnitor Video Hardware

On 15/01/2019 08:52, Chris Thistlethwaite wrote:
> While I'm not answering your question at all, I might as well as one
> back. Why 4k? I know that sounds like a dumb question because 4k is
> awesome (like said I have a 4k monitor at my desk). However if I had to
> rebuild my desk setup again, I'd spend the same amount of cash on really
> nice 1080p monitors. Both Linux and Windows have issues with scaling
> (though Windows is WAY better handling that), which drives me bananas.
> If you plan on gaming at 4k then it's awesome, but I'd be hard pressed
> to say that the extra pixels are better for desktop use. If you run at
> 1:1 then you have a boatload of desktop space, but then everything is
> really small. If you're going to run 3 monitors and you need the extra
> space of 4k at 1:1, then holy crap I'm scared of your workflow. By all
> means tell me to STFU, just throwing my 2 cents where nobody asked.

I only run one high-pixel density monitor (either my 24-inch 4K monitor
or 3K 15-inch laptop) at a time, but I can definitely say I'm never
going back to non-high-pixel density panels unless in extreme
circumstances. No, I don't run 1:1 and definitely still have increased
screen real estate compared to a 24-inch 1080p monitor. Just reading
text is a night-and-day difference in favour of high-pixel density.

--
Charlie "talking toothpaste" Li

with vishwin for off-list communication)