Keith C. Perry on 8 Feb 2019 10:02:12 -0800

[PLUG] Can learning ham radio make for better engineers and software developers?

I'm sharing this because it was a good read and I mentioned a side point at central...  One of the major things that irks me today is far too much focus on software and little to nothing on hardware skills.

In recent years, I've talked to so called technology professionals from traditional IT to voice to data scientists who have never seen the inside of a computer much less built a computer or even done any manner of basic electronics.  In the last 5 years I've seen a resurrgence in the interest in amatuer radio for lots of difference reasons.  The thing I was surprised by is not just more technician classes but also more people testing for general and extra.

I'm sure Jedi Jim will confirm...  :D

A quick search of YouTube and you'll see that there just as much content for ham radio as there is for any other hobby or technical discipline.  I'm sure that has helped too.

This finding by the Navy's Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division (NAWCWD) that just the technician's class license can help address the issue should be reassuring to aspiring communication STEM professionals.  I can attest to this myself.  My undergrad ECE degree focused a lot on RF (radio frequency) and FO (fiber optics) but it wasn't until I was licensed and started really "playing radio" that I had an operational understanding of what was going on.

Its not software **or** hardware, its both.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/electronic-warfare/2019/02/06/can-learning-ham-radio-make-for-better-engineers-and-software-developers/

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033