Rich Freeman on 15 May 2019 10:44:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Fusion room or DMR Talkgroup

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 1:33 PM Jim Fisher <jedijf@myfisher.org> wrote:

> There are enough existing repeaters in the area analog and digital that go unused.
> my recommendation is to pick a place a repeater and start to utilize it it would benefit the pluggers and the ham community in general.

The only issue with that is that it provides no benefit if:

1.  You don't have clear RF to the chosen repeater, since it isn't
bridged to a talkgroup on a network.

2.  The repeater doesn't use a mode compatible with whatever radio you
own, since none of the local repeaters are bridged cross-mode.

I guess there is always FM/echolink if we use a repeater which
supports this, and they don't mind.  Otherwise just using an HT from
walking around inside my house I basically can't hit any local
repeaters except maybe for RF Hill, which most of PLUG probably won't
be able to reach.  That's just the issue with being so dispersed.  I
can hit any of the repeaters from my outside antenna, but that just
runs down to a desk in my basement that I'm never at...

--
Rich