Jim Fisher on 16 May 2019 03:27:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Fusion room or DMR Talkgroup

OK. Let's get back to where this started....getting local like-minded
folks ON THE AIR.

GO TO A FIELD DAY EVENT. Any that you can attend.
http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator

GET ANY RADIO. GET ON THE AIR.

A private talkgroup or whatever is STUPID. NOT ham radio.
IT's AUDIO IRC.

JOIN the Ham community. Don't isolate. Join a club. Go to meetings.

OY VEY.

We don't need to fix or rebuild the hobby. Just need to participate.....

PLAY RADIO.

73

sk

On 5/15/19, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 7:39 PM Keith C. Perry
> <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
>>
>> Like an amateur radio beginner's talk specially on digital modes?  That
>> could be interesting considering many of the hotspots are pi-star based
>> and RPi's are a thing. :)
>
> Keep in mind that digital modes are WAY more diverse than DMR, D-star,
> and Fusion.  CW is arguably a digital mode.
>
> Right now we're mostly talking about digital voice mode, not unlike
> what cell phones do.  Voice goes into a vocoder which generates
> packets of data, which then get transmitted using FSK/TDMA/etc
> (details vary by mode), with usually around 12.5kHz bandwidth I think.
>
> But, there are plenty of pure-data digital modes used on HF with much
> lower baud rates mainly used to send text, like PSK31 which uses only
> 60Hz bandwidth, which is much less than CW/Morse.
>
> And of course right now we're mostly talking about setting up the
> networked groups online, so you get the vocoding and the packets, but
> they're sent out over UDP to some server not unlike any random voice
> chat application.  They're just using the same internal format as the
> over-the-air protocol so they're trivial to bridge to a repeater.
>
> --
> Rich

jim fisher
Jedijf