Rich Freeman on 20 May 2019 10:09:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Electronics gear

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 1:00 PM John Kreno <john.kreno@gmail.com> wrote:

> When it comes to what grade of what to acquire, you need to right size. So figure out what your goal is. If it's just to fool around with no real goal. Harbor Frieght cheapy meters and whatever hot stick you can get will work fine as a soldering iron.
>
> If you have a goal, then like I said, right size.

This has always been my attitude towards tools and it has worked well for me.

I bought a ton of super-cheap tools when I was much younger.  It
didn't cost me much, and it meant that when I had to do something I
probably had an appropriate tool at hand so I wasn't trying to fix
every problem with a hammer and a screwdriver that wasn't quite the
right size.

Now, those tools would wear out very quickly, and when they did I'd
replace them with tools of significantly higher quality, but only as
needed.  That means that the tools I use the most are high quality,
and I still have some oddball tools of harbor-freight tier at hand.
I'll still buy tools there if it is something I don't know I'll need
frequently.

--
Rich