Alan McConnell via plug on 24 Jul 2019 13:12:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] backup help needed

----- Original Message -----
From: "plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:25:29 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] backup help needed

On 7/24/19 12:11 PM, Fred Stluka via plug wrote:
> Alan,
>
> +1 for rsync.  It's a faster, more powerful, more secure version of
> cp, and it should already be installed on any Linux box.  See my
> series of tips at:
> - http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix.htm#copying_files
>
> I describe the basics of cp, touch briefly on rcp and scp, then
> talk about rsync, covering how to copy files, copy entire directory
> trees, copy to a different host computer.  Also, how to do VERY
> fast full and incremental backups.
>
> Enjoy!
> --Fred

rsync is not installed by default on centos, and probably others.
     Many thanks to all who replied.  I note however that the replies
     were scatter-gun -- lots of talk about rsync! -- and I was
     able to get what I wanted by picking up an aside from one
     response.

     Namely, what works is
         cp -a /home/alan/  .   _Not_   /home/alan/*  .  I am
     grateful to whomever it was that pointed that out.

A side comment: running  du -s -B1  on my new backup gave me
9501336064 bytes.  Running the same command on my original
gave 9610280960 .  I can't guess why the difference, but I
am getting my .gconfig copied.  Good enough for gov't work,
I hope<G>.

Best wishes,

Alan McConnell