Tim Allen via plug on 13 Dec 2019 11:51:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] [just ignore this] W10

Windows 10 has seen moved many things in good directions. I support developers on Linux, Windows, and Mac at $WORK, so I have to be familiar with all of them. Of course Microsoft is going to make the defaults what is best for their business; they're beholden to their shareholders.

As far as why your $WORK chose Windows 10, it is because their concerns with HIPAA aren't privacy, it's about CYA and pointing their finger at Microsoft if anything goes wrong. There are enough shortcomings of Windows 10 that one doesn't need to exaggerate, but there are plenty of shortcomings of all desktop OS options.

MacOS takes away configuration options I like every new release, and changes the command to clear the DNS cache every damn time. And catatonic Catalina broke a lot of stuff for a lot of people.

Linux on the desktop? Don't even get me started on trying to get Linux desktops to work with projectors or video conferencing. They all have their weaknesses, Microsoft's is just that you need a slew of settings changed to make it usable. And my usable and your usable aren't going to be the same.

WSL-2 is fantastic. I've been running on the fast ring of updates for Windows 10 with WSL-2 running Ubuntu 18.04 for a while, and as a developer, it is the best of all worlds. All four of my monitors and my docking station on my Lenovo work, at the proper resolution, and come right back up after I've unplugged for a meeting. And by unplugged, I mean unplugged one, single USB-C cable. Good luck with that on Ubuntu native... I have tried.

But now I have a native Linux kernel in a VM that actually shares and releases memory properly. I can test DB drivers and engines I help write across platforms within the same machine. It's kind of glorious.

I sign onto my work Windows 10 machine with a domain, as you likely will, and you probably have Windows admins smart enough to lock things down privacy wise with group policies. I'm guessing you're running the free, downloaded version of Windows 10 in your VM with all default settings that you can't modify. In a paid environment, things are very different.

Microsoft has been the best corporate friend to open source out of the megacorps by leaps and bounds for years now. They handle support for two Python packages I contribute to, pyodbc and django-pyodbc-azure. I don't get the continued snarkiness - it was last pertinent around the same time the Phillies had the best pitching staff in baseball. Nadella is headed in the right direction.

Regards,

Tim