brent timothy saner via plug on 17 Mar 2020 18:04:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] COVID-19 Open Research Dataset (CORD-19)

On 3/17/20 19:08, Tim Allen via plug wrote:
> If people want to have a virtual presentation meeting - and I know I
> could use the distraction - I'd be happy to set up a BlueJeans
> videoconference under Penn. It has been holding up really well for us
> for online learning, can handle up to 200 concurrently, and has
> moderation control. Although now that I think about it, Walt could do
> that now too. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim

There are a couple other options, too! The F/OSS ones off the top of my
head are:

https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/

https://github.com/ossrs/srs
(https://medium.com/@yenthanh/setup-a-rtmp-livestream-server-in-15-minutes-with-srs-1b0046c77267)
(this is handy in that we can just connect directly to the stream with
RTMP with VLC, and use IRC for interaction)

A bit overpowered for our use, but also:

https://bigbluebutton.org/

and Moodle has a livestreaming plugin (I've never used it, YMMV)

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_livestreaming

There's of course also Twitch, but I think it'd be cooler if we self-hosted.

Relatedly, I wish I had a presentation put together already on
telecommuting since I've been doing it for 9 or 10 years now, but here's
a link dump:

https://about.gitlab.com/company/culture/all-remote/guide/
https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/telecommuting/ (for you company
policy-makers/C-levels on the list)
and https://twitter.com/chris_herd is a huge advocate for it-
occasionally offers some helpful advice.