Mail List via plug on 19 Apr 2020 03:08:08 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Linux on a Chromebook?
- From: Mail List via plug <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Linux on a Chromebook?
- Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 06:07:52 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=sendinblue.com; q=dns/txt; s=mail; bh=4yGIS1XDxEqeYYqmVNzy+qq101016RvlG4Ov5Qfl0a8=; h=from:subject:date:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:references:x-csa-complaints; b=LbOh/nyp7WE1eTW/KGTGO2sh1itpZDQUKq67QoCImjAKM0zJMnz1YPC42QxQ4eidQslQFrdAVOfi YXUuL/IfimIwXxqHWjK51tj+KoGQtLXxDrRg2ikUteIa4PRTKH9SuZfPbDgxftGx40L8IbCVrQS5 wT3xLzccb9wTuA1tI5s=
- Feedback-id: 184.108.40.206:2031218_-1:2031218:Sendinblue
- Origin-messageid: <7eb324b9-0f35-8dd4-c83c-a15a55637e76@NerdWorld.org>
- Reply-to: Mail List <MailList@NerdWorld.org>
- Sender: "plug" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/68.7.0
A got a "free" Chromebook when I got FiOS. Naturally, I wasn't going to
let Google run my life so I loaded stock Debian on it. I found 2 major
problems that I worked around but never solved:
1. The track pad never worked. I needed a USB mouse (not bad because I
HATE track pads)
2. Upgrading Debian hosed the entire system and I never got the
graphics system to work. I had to remain 1 revision behind.
On 4/18/2020 9:21 PM, Floyd Johnson via plug wrote:
> I've spent about a year with GalliumOS (a derivative of Ubuntu more or
> less tuned to work with Chromebooks), step one being to set up a
> conventional swap partition. For me, the default zram strategy doesn't
> seem to mix well with IDEs and Web browsers at the same time when
> you've only 4GB to begin with-more thrashing than a heavy metal act.
> I'm considering using a different distro.
> What experiences have you had with Linux on Chromebooks with a Celeron
> N3060 ("Braswell"), 4GB RAM, and 32 GB eMMC internal storage (this
> Acer CB3-431 has the codename "EDGAR")?
> Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
> Announcements -
> General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug