Adam Schaible via plug on 19 Apr 2020 15:59:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux on a Chromebook?

Does it have to be a "real" Chromebook per se in the "I'm gonna use the guide on https://mrchromebox.tech to escape my Chromebook's BIOS and get a UEFI boot menu into Linux" sense?

Or are you just looking for a Linux distro that performs acceptably well on basement-tier subnotebooks? I have an Asus E203A subnote (basically the successor to the "Eee PC") with a Gemini Lake Celeron N4000, 2GB RAM, and 32GB eMMC that I wiped factory Win10 from and replaced with the latest Manjaro running the full KDE Plasma desktop. It's "usable" for most basic tasks (terminal, LibreOffice, 720p video playback, ham radio stuff) but any more than two or three browser tabs in Firefox is a recipe for disaster.

I've also had similarly (ahem) "good" results on the Dell Inspiron 11 3180 with its AMD "Stoney Ridge" E series dual core, 4GB  RAM, and 32GB eMMC inside. I wiped Win 10 and ran Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on one of those for a good 6 months or so before passing it along to a family member.

The more I play around with this class of hardware the more annoyed I get with eMMC, by the way. It just feels like too much of a step down from a "real" SSD. At the risk of annoying any experts in the room, IMO it seems particularly ill-suited to hosting swap partitions. But maybe I'm Doing It Wrong.

Good luck,

--
  Adam Schaible
  plug@schibes.com