Alan D. Salewski via plug on 26 Jun 2020 11:49:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Sending a Kafka topic to syslog?

On 2020-06-26 13:37:51, JP Vossen via plug spake thus:
> I may have a $WORK need to push a Kafka topic to syslog, or really Syslog-NG
> if it matters.  But any time I try to Google for that I only find the
> opposite: sending syslog into Kafka!
[...]

> I'd *really* rather push from the Kafka topic/node to the remote syslog
> loghost, ideally over TCP/514 or some similar port.  If I absolutely have to
> I can probably do a pull from the syslog side, but I'd much rather not.
> Simpler is also better, I'd rather not have to increase my dependencies and
> attack surface with a lot of extra cruft.
>
> Any clues?  TIA,
> JP
> JP Vossen, CISSP | http://www.jpsdomain.org/ | http://bashcookbook.com/

This doesn't fit the "simpler" criteria (would add another moving part:
logstash as an intermediary), and I'm not recommending it; just throwing it
out there...

Looks like logstash can consume "syslog-ish" messages from a kafka topic:

    https://sematext.com/blog/recipe-rsyslog-apache-kafka-logstash/

and then forward those messages to syslog:

    https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-outputs-syslog.html

Might be easier to just write a kafka-topic-to-syslog app, though.