Alan D. Salewski via plug on 26 Jun 2020 12:34:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Sending a Kafka topic to syslog?

On 2020-06-26 14:48:54, Alan D. Salewski via plug spake thus:
> On 2020-06-26 13:37:51, JP Vossen via plug spake thus:
> > I may have a $WORK need to push a Kafka topic to syslog, or really Syslog-NG
> > if it matters.  But any time I try to Google for that I only find the
> > opposite: sending syslog into Kafka!
> [...]
>
> > I'd *really* rather push from the Kafka topic/node to the remote syslog
> > loghost, ideally over TCP/514 or some similar port.  If I absolutely have to
> > I can probably do a pull from the syslog side, but I'd much rather not.
> > Simpler is also better, I'd rather not have to increase my dependencies and
> > attack surface with a lot of extra cruft.
> >
> > Any clues?  TIA,
> > JP
> > --  -------------------------------------------------------------------
> > JP Vossen, CISSP | http://www.jpsdomain.org/ | http://bashcookbook.com/
>
> This doesn't fit the "simpler" criteria
[...]
> Looks like logstash can consume "syslog-ish" messages from a kafka topic:
[...]
> and then forward those messages to syslog:
[...]

The Apache Camel[0] project (sytem integration tools) has a thing they call
the "Camel Kafka Connector":

    https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/latest/index.html

that "allows you to use all Camel components as Kafka Connect
connectors"[1]. On their (long) list of connectors[2] is one called the
'camel-syslog-kafka-connector'[3]. It comes in two flavors: "source" and
"sink". The sink flavor sounds like might be in the ballpark of what you're
looking for, though the docs are a bit light on this page:

    https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/latest/connectors/camel-syslog-kafka-sink-connector.html

Better docs are available on the "Try it out locally" page:

    https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/latest/try-it-out-locally.html

The examples there hint at what might be involved, but don't show the 'syslog'
connector explicitly.

-Al

[0] https://camel.apache.org/

[1] https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/latest/about.html