Rich Freeman via plug on 13 Jul 2020 13:17:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Best Solution for Multiple Volume Backups

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM Walt Mankowski via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> We've had a few questions like this come up on the list lately. Since
> we don't have a speaker lined up for North tomorrow night, that might
> be a great time to have discussions like this. :)

Certainly works for me. I don't mind sharing a bit about what I find.
It is the multiple-volume aspect of this that makes it tricky.  A lot
of solutions require the backup to fit in a single mounted directory,
or on some cloud service where a directory typically has "infinite"
capacity.

So far tar is one tool that always has supported multiple volumes,
which of course makes sense when you think about how tapes work.

--
Rich