K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 17 Jul 2020 06:59:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] RAID-1 mdadm vs. Mobo H/W

I avoid hardware RAID like the plague (or maybe avoid it like COVID-19 to be more contemporary). A new MoBo, or possibly a new MoBo firmware revision, could make your filesystems indistinguishable from a random array of bytes. I know of one case where the MoBo died on a PC that was using hardware RAID, and the MoBo was too old to buy a replacement. It was bad news for the filesystems. Admittedly that was some years ago, and perhaps things are different these days, but I would not personally go anywhere near MoBo RAID.

Instead of mirroring /, I treat it as a disposable file system. Any system I configure has a / and another partition of equal size mounted as /spare.  For anything risky, I clone / to /spare and then do the action on /spare. /etc/fstab on the original /spare of course has / and /spare swapped. So, for example, my twice-a-year, or once every two years, Ubuntu upgrades on machines that I support with Ubuntu installed are (to avoid confusion, assume originally / is on partition A and /spare is on partition B):

While booted on A:

While booted on B:

Regards
– Bhaskar