Joe Rosato via plug on 29 Aug 2020 12:39:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] bookmarks

Not sure how good this is it found this... bills itself as a browser less bookmark mgmt and can import bookmarks from other browsers.

https://github.com/jarun/buku

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020, 3:28 PM Rich Kulawiec via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 01:37:00PM -0400, brent timothy saner via plug wrote:
> Consolidating bookmarks from at the *least* Firefox and Chrome shouldn't
> be too hard. Chrome stores its bookmarks in a JSON file[0], and Firefox
> stores them in a sqlite3 DB[1] (you'd have to map the moz_bookmarks
> table's `fk` with the moz_places table's `id`), but there are rotating
> daily backups in LZ4-compressed JSON format[2] that are a nightmare to
> parse so I'm not even going to go into it. (NOTE: LZ4 is different from LZ.)

First, thank you for this dissection even though my head hurts now. ;)

Second, this is one of those times when I want to just get all the
coders behind this in a room as ask them WTF they were thinking here.

I just ran a few numbers: a collection of 46,703 bookmarks in the
format I describe upthread occupies 7052689 bytes, including the
overhead of HTML markup, tags, etc.  So: 7M for 45K bookmarks, more
or less.  And that's a LOT of bookmarks, far more than any sane
person would be likely to keep in a browser.  So why not lose the
DB, lose the compression, lose almost all of that code and complexity,
and just keep it as HTML-marked-up text in a simple and portable
format that all browsers can import/export?

That's a rhetorical question BTW, I know why.  I'm just grumpy about it. ;)

---rsk