K.S. Bhaskar via plug on 8 Dec 2020 12:33:30 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Defaulting the domain for a name lookup

Thanks Rich. Next time things break, I'll reconfigure the firewall to use something other than .local. Although, after scanning RFC 6762, my configuration should have worked, as a former colleague would say, “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, theory and practice are different.”

Regards
– Bhaskar

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 3:25 PM Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM K.S. Bhaskar via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I couldn't figure it out either. The only hint I could find was an obscure note that .local should be reserved for Avahi, and if you use .local for anything else, things might not work. Anyway, for now, I have something that works, and I will let sleeping dogs lie.

Oh, I wasn't even paying attention to that.  Yeah, .local is reserved
for RFC 6762:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762

If you use it then any distro set up to support mDNS will probably
have issues.  That includes most desktop-oriented distros out of the
box.

--
Rich