brent timothy saner via plug on 8 Dec 2020 13:49:25 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Defaulting the domain for a name lookup

On 12/8/20 14:17, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:

> Interesting, I'd think that this should cause applications to search
> mybands.local automatically.  I thought that was more a glibc thing
> than a DNS thing.  But I haven't looked into that.

It's technically closer to a DHCP/DHCP6/RA thing, but it's not a glibc
thing exclusively. It's implemented in all the major OSes.

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mglt-dnsop-search-list-processing-00.html
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3397

On 12/8/20 15:24, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM K.S. Bhaskar via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> I couldn't figure it out either. The only hint I could find was an obscure note that .local should be reserved for Avahi, and if you use .local for anything else, things might not work. Anyway, for now, I have something that works, and I will let sleeping dogs lie.
>>

> Oh, I wasn't even paying attention to that.  Yeah, .local is reserved
> for RFC 6762:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762
>
> If you use it then any distro set up to support mDNS will probably
> have issues.  That includes most desktop-oriented distros out of the
> box.

mDNS/Avahi/Zeroconf is primarily broadcast traffic. It shouldn't
conflict with a local DNS zone (as in it's not real DNS) *provided that*
you don't have DNS resolution via Avahi enabled (i.e. if "mdns" is in
the "hosts" entry for /etc/nsswitch.conf typically). But services
running on the local machine may still be "weird" if you try to access
them locally. It's generally safer and easier, especially for a
multi-platform/OS environment/network, to just use something like
"home.lan" or the like, though.