Charlie Li via plug on 12 Dec 2020 09:30:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] CentOS

Jon Wolfe via plug wrote:
> CentOS had a lot of institutional support. Several big companies were
> using it. So I expect that Rocky Linux or some other distro will fill
> the vacuum.

I wouldn't be so fast here…
> One of the great things about OSS is that if there is enough demand, the
> development will continue.

Sure, development will continue with enough demand and willpower.
However, you bring up institutional support; institutions tend to be
conservative in strategy. At the very least, it will take some time for
Rocky Linux or whatever other community effort to make a name/reputation
for themselves, especially outside of technologist bubbles.

More so, institutions often times have decision makers who are not the
most technically inclined; they would be far more comfortable with
something that has at least an illusion of paid/enterprise support, even
if technically inferior or that their choice will bite them later.
CentOS has that illusion going for them (because RHEL exists).

--
Charlie "I just want the money" Li

with vishwin for off-list communication)