Joe Rosato via plug on 12 Dec 2020 11:32:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] CentOS

Sorry for not posting a link.

This is an old question but... When redhat began a long time ago it was to steward the software. That was the model... and that is a very different model than say IBM which only delt with proprietary software. IBM owned AIX, etc..

Also - things I might not know - Centos was a community outside of redhat, no?

Here is the sticking point I'm dancing around... Is this a clash of models? Is IBM trying to convert stewardship to ownership? Isn't this like purchasing the butlers and now thinking you own the mansion?

Granted redhat has in time confused the stewardship model (though they did recently adopt openjdk saying stewardship).. as they pulled in open source projects just to change their name and market a product. (Satellite is a frankenstein monster of like many available open source software).

In short I think Stewardship + Time = ownership. Not said outright, but that is what has been happening here no? Don't allow the free option to gain revenue...

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020, 1:44 PM Rich Freeman via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 12:30 PM Charlie Li via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> More so, institutions often times have decision makers who are not the
> most technically inclined; they would be far more comfortable with
> something that has at least an illusion of paid/enterprise support, even
> if technically inferior or that their choice will bite them later.
> CentOS has that illusion going for them (because RHEL exists).

Yeah, I think the whole selling-point of CentOS was that it was
near-identical to RHEL but free.  That makes it great as a
test/development platform, or for production for cheapskates.  In
theory binaries that run on one would run on the other, and so on.

I still haven't read up on the gory details of the change - I never
used CentOS or RHEL myself.  However, I can see the appeal of that
sort of LTS platform for enterprise solutions, especially in more
traditional IT organizations.

--
Rich