Joe Rosato via plug on 13 Dec 2020 04:43:46 -0800

Re: [PLUG] CentOS

Order is fedora, centos stream, redhat, centos... And they are removing the last one. In short all the maturity leads to the paid product. What began as stewardship of (a) linux has turned into the community being used as the test-bed with IBM owning the results.

The change is stewardship vs ownership. None of this is a big surprise considering that RHSM (https) was being forced and RHN expired. IBM is walking away from the stewardship model toward centralized ownership of the final product.

FWIW the linux kernel is still GPL 2.0.